I finished the pieced border yesterday and attached both borders today. The book has a pieced outside border, but after putting one pieced border on, it needed (I needed) a solid piece of fabric on the outside of the quilt before I quilt it. I really think it's coming out nice and I hope the group likes what I've done with their blocks.
Tuesday, December 21, 2010
I have the blocks from the cover quilt of the book Clever Quarters Too on the design wall. They are blocks done by a group and I will work on the border blocks now so it can be quilted. I hope to get this one finished in January.
Monday, December 20, 2010
I joined a strip club of the month at Fort Worth Fabric Studio. Not that I need anymore fabric, let alone strips. But I figure I can get all the newest batiks without taking up space in my studio. I like this pattern, I think it will look nice in the Zinfandel Bali pop.
Sunday, December 19, 2010
This week we had to have one of the old maples in the front yard cut. Last week a really big branch broke during a windy night and it was hung up on another branch right over the roof. The reason there is a 12 foot stump is because it is full of concrete. Apparently, that is how they used to "save" a split tree.
This little chunk that came out of the maple is a wood duck nest. Last spring (2009) I just happened to catch a duck flopping out of this tree. When I looked down on the ground, I saw 7 or 8 little gray ducklings waiting for mama. What a sight! So we saw the mama wood duck back in the tree this past spring, but missed the evacuation of the ducklings. When she, or they, return next spring, we are hoping they will find one of the other two maples just as accommodating for a nest.
Saturday, December 18, 2010
Finished up the pillow I started last spring. I put some of the leftover orange from the tablerunners on the back.
I love this solid fabric. It is really beautiful, the color is much more vibrant than shown here. It shows up the quilting perfectly. I will have to go to Quilted Threads get more, some different colors.
Friday, December 17, 2010
Today was a good day to finish a few projects that have been piling on my cutting table. This is a tablerunner made from leftover strips. It will actually live on a hutch for now.
This is the tablerunner I started in October at the annual Sunapee gathering for sewing friends. I saw the pattern in the newest issue of Stitch and just couldn't resist! Never that easy though...
Here is the original photo and the pattern sheet. Now, my tablerunner is quilt a bit larger than it should be because I had to add 3 wedges to each arc to make it square at the bottom. The wedge template on the pattern page was wrong, so if you make a template, use the wedges from the curved arch to make it, not the separate one they have. It's not shown in this picture, but it's on the pattern sheet. You can see the two different templates I made, the one on the left is the one on the pattern sheet and the one on the right would have made the arcs correctly. Just remember to add seam allowances..
Having explained the error (hopefully the fix), must add that I really love the way mine came out, and I'm glad it's bigger.
Sunday, December 12, 2010
Saturday, September 25, 2010
Thursday, September 9, 2010
Over the past year, we've acquired a new couch and rug for the living room. I bought some paint at Sherwin Williams 30% off sale last weekend, a lovely grayed down lilac mauvey shade. I need something new to hang on the wall, so I took a weekend off to put this top together. It's a Sew Be It pattern. There's no telling when it will get quilted, or when the walls will be painted, but there is a plan.
Zoe had knee surgery yesterday for the other ACL, so she will be in the crate for her rehab for the next 4-5 months. If the room doesn't get painted in the next week, it will be awhile.
Saturday, July 24, 2010
Saturday, May 15, 2010
Monday, March 15, 2010
These quilts were made by quilters at the fall 2009 retreat with Judy Niemeyer for Karen and Kim. Thanks to these ladies, many quilters were able to attend retreats in beautiful Montana for three years. The labels were embroidered by one of the retreat attendees. The pattern is "Waterfall" by Judy, and she donated the foundations as well as a demo on sewing the blocks.
Saturday, January 23, 2010
Thursday, January 21, 2010
Wednesday, January 20, 2010
Tuesday, January 19, 2010
Tuesday, January 12, 2010
Tuesday, January 5, 2010
I'm determined to spend more time in 2010 finishing some UFO's, but I just couldn't resist adding one more to the pile after Christmas. I have also decided that I will make quilts for all my siblings and their kids. So some of my UFO's will have homes right away. This one will be for a sister. It is in batiks and the blocks are 8", so I will need about 100 blocks and a small border. There will likely be enough blocks left over for a lap quilt in this design. I hope.