Wednesday, December 29, 2010

I finished the pieced border yesterday and attached both borders today. The book has a pieced outside border, but after putting one pieced border on, it needed (I needed) a solid piece of fabric on the outside of the quilt before I quilt it. I really think it's coming out nice and I hope the group likes what I've done with their blocks.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

I have the blocks from the cover quilt of the book Clever Quarters Too on the design wall. They are blocks done by a group and I will work on the border blocks now so it can be quilted. I hope to get this one finished in January.

Monday, December 20, 2010

I joined a strip club of the month at Fort Worth Fabric Studio. Not that I need anymore fabric, let alone strips. But I figure I can get all the newest batiks without taking up space in my studio. I like this pattern, I think it will look nice in the Zinfandel Bali pop.

Sunday, December 19, 2010

This week we had to have one of the old maples in the front yard cut. Last week a really big branch broke during a windy night and it was hung up on another branch right over the roof. The reason there is a 12 foot stump is because it is full of concrete. Apparently, that is how they used to "save" a split tree.

This little chunk that came out of the maple is a wood duck nest. Last spring (2009) I just happened to catch a duck flopping out of this tree. When I looked down on the ground, I saw 7 or 8 little gray ducklings waiting for mama. What a sight! So we saw the mama wood duck back in the tree this past spring, but missed the evacuation of the ducklings. When she, or they, return next spring, we are hoping they will find one of the other two maples just as accommodating for a nest. 

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Finished up the pillow I started last spring. I put some of the leftover orange from the tablerunners on the back. 

I love this solid fabric. It is really beautiful, the color is much more vibrant than shown here. It shows up the quilting perfectly. I will have to go to Quilted Threads get more, some different colors.

Friday, December 17, 2010

Today was a good day to finish a few projects that have been piling on my cutting table. This is a tablerunner made from leftover strips. It will actually live on a hutch for now.

This is the tablerunner I started in October at the annual Sunapee gathering for sewing friends. I saw the pattern in the newest issue of Stitch and just couldn't resist! Never that easy though...
Here's the issue I found the directions in.

Here is the original photo and the pattern sheet. Now, my tablerunner is quilt a bit larger than it should be because I had to add 3 wedges to each arc to make it square at the bottom. The wedge template on the pattern page was wrong, so if you make a template, use the wedges from the curved arch to make it, not the separate one they have. It's not shown in this picture, but it's on the pattern sheet. You can see the two different templates I made, the one on the left is the one on the pattern sheet and the one on the right would have made the arcs correctly. Just remember to add seam allowances.. 
Having explained the error (hopefully the fix),  must add that I really love the way mine came out, and I'm glad it's bigger.

Sunday, December 12, 2010

I had fun making this little wall quilt for a yankee swap. I changed the pattern a little, and made the blackbirds into cardinals. There are clear crystals on the tree and orange ones for the eyes. 

The pattern is in "Best Weekend Quilts" magazine from Quilters Newsletter.