Sunday, December 11, 2011
Thursday, December 1, 2011
I put this little piece on a purple background, quilted the blocks down with more circles and straight lines at the edges, and used silk thread to make french knots around the blocks. Then I lightly rubbed a bronze stamp pad across the top, then lightly dusted copper Pearl-ex powder all over.
I will cut it down to about 10" square and put a facing on the back.
Certainly there is lots of room for improvement in technique, but I felt absolute joy working on this little quilt. I am inspired and will have to find some dedicated studio time after the holiday.
Sunday, November 27, 2011
Play time today! Well for a little while, anyway. Today I finally hooked up a dvd player to my little TV in the studio and watched Beryl Taylor's video from Quilting Arts TV. Then I got out a box of scraps and tried this little "reverse applique" method for a small (10 x 10) art quilt. It was fun to throw together fabric, it almost didn't matter what I used, and made some blocks. It hasn't been quilted down yet. Maybe tomorrow.
Tuesday, November 8, 2011
Here is the strip set from the previous post. I used the circle template set from QuiltEscapes for cutting them. I am working on the base of the quilt, ran out of strata right away and spent the rest of the day making another one. There will be fun things added to the circles when the base is done: arcs, crosscutting, paper pieced spikes and fused applique. This two day workshop with Louisa Smith was a lot of fun, I wish there had been more time.
Thursday, October 27, 2011
Here is one of the strip sets and main fabric that I will be playing with at The Gathering next weekend. My friend and I are taking a two day workshop with Louisa Smith. It took four full days this summer to pick the fabrics (all from my stash), cut the 1 1/2" strips, and sew them into one big strata. I cut four strips from each fabric, so this weekend I will try to sew either one more big strata or a few smaller ones. Got to be prepared!
I cut this quilt last week and spent the weekend sewing up at Sunapee. I managed to get the top done, wasted no time quilting and finishing, and made some pillows from the leftovers. I bought the border fabric from Quilted Threads at a sale a few weeks ago. The rest of the fabrics came from my stash.
I have finally organized most of my stash and it is pretty easy to see what I have. It is downright inspiring! It took years to get my studio cleared of exercise equipment and put up storage, but it's done. I took photos of the mess, both in the house and studio. Since then we have made a few improvements and it is a good reminder of how far we have come, even when it seems overwhelming. This old house is a constant project, and occasionally we have a burst of renovations, then we take a break, so it is never caught up. But we are never bored!
Sunday, June 5, 2011
Here is a sampling of what I hope will become a queen size quilt someday. I started this in a workshop at Quilted Threads yesterday. Yes, I could have figured this out on my own, sewn it in my nice, big, bright studio. But uninterrupted sewing time? And the tips that Mary gave us all will make this quilt go together very easily, I think.
Saturday, May 21, 2011
Finally! The sun came out today and the weather is pretty nice!
The boat blocks on the design wall are from yet another Buggy Barn book. I am thinking on the sashing right now. Just got back from vacation and not yet back to work.
Tuesday, April 19, 2011
Monday, March 21, 2011
Sunday, March 20, 2011
Here are all of the Dancing Batik blocks done and on the wall. The row on the right is pinned on the wall and that lump is the thermostat. Ran out of room. I like this setting instead of the one in the pattern, there are more blocks to play with. I am not sure if the colors are in their final place, so any input from an objective eye will be welcome. Now on to the spiky border. I want to find a way to incorporate a small inner border to make it just a little bigger to fit the bed. This will take a lot of quilting, too.
Friday, March 4, 2011
Sunday, February 27, 2011
Here is my most recent diversion. I took a workshop with Lizz Van Saun of Kast Hill Studio in Hopkinton, NH. The workshop was held at Wild Orchid Guest Farm in Deerfield. I can honestly say it was a good day, the people, place and food were fabulous. Lizz is very talented, and although I made lots of mistakes (and learned a lot), I am inspired to try another mosaic project. Fabric collage is definitely easier!
Friday, February 25, 2011
Just another snow day.
Got the chickens with the hearts done at Quilted Threads, next is to work on the chickens with the stars. The pattern is Barn Chicks by the Buggy Barn. My friend Sue kept saying she had "chicken envy" so I think she has already named this one for me.
This one is a simple wall hanging still on the design wall. I just needed to make something with simple piecing. So much paper piecing and wonky piecing, using rulers and quarter inch seams for this one was soothing.
Monday, January 10, 2011
Sunday, January 9, 2011
Went to Quilted Threads and got some of these Moda wovens. I love the way the quilting looks on them, so whatever I make with these will be to feature quilting. I also got a back for the Dr. Seuss quilt and signed up for the Buggy Barn class.
And these were in the mailbox on Saturday! Two more from Fort Worth Fabric Studio.
Thursday, January 6, 2011
Here are 20 units for the Dancing Batiks quilt I started in Montana October 2009. I decided to make a queen size quilt, ordered the extra papers from Quiltworx, had the fabric cut and bagged, and am finally getting back to it. I should probably get back to work, but I needed time off to recharge, and I'm really having fun. (Except for being sick this past week!)